Website Privacy Notice
Our commitment to your privacy
The Canadian Executive Council on Addictions (“CECA”, “we” or “us”), is committed to the protection of privacy for those who provide personal information to us. As such, we have published this Privacy Commitment to inform visitors to CECA’s website (http://www.ceca-cect.ca/) of our policies and procedures regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personally identifiable information received from our users or visitors. Please note: this policy will be updated from time to time; as a result, a revised Privacy Commitment will be posted to notify our visitors of changes. Your personal information (such as your name, phone number, email, address and personal comments) is not automatically gathered by CECA. This information is only obtained if you supply it voluntarily, by contacting us via email or phone, or registering in a secure portion of the site. We do not sell or share your personal information to third parties for marketing or promotional purposes.
Personal information consent
Prior to collecting your personal information, CECA will explain how we intend to use this data. Should we wish to use your information for any other purpose not previously stated, we first obtain your consent; this includes collecting information from third parties.
CECA’s use and disclosure of personal information
- We collect personal information from you and use that information:
- To set up and manage your subscription (including by way of automatic subscribe and unsubscribe options) to newsletters, reports, and electronic or other updates. We collect only the information we need to send you the updates and information that you have requested. In the event that your subscription is the sole reason that you have provided this information we will not use it for any other purpose;
- To respond to specific requests for information or questions you have raised with us;
- To receive, publish or post comments or information that you provide on our website;
- To organize events, maintain records of event attendees and provide a business contact list of event attendees; and
- To contact event attendees in order to plan for future events. We maintain a record of contact information of past event attendees in order to provide those attendees with information for future events.
Withdrawing your consent
You can withdraw your consent for CECA to use your personal information for one or more of the above purposes by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. By withdrawing your consent you acknowledge that CECA may not be able to provide further information to you and, of course, you can always decide not to provide further information to CECA.
CECA will not collect, use or disclose to a third party your personal information without your consent except where:
- We are required or permitted to do so by law (such as to comply with court orders, warrants or subpoena, or requests by law enforcement agencies to enforce our website terms and conditions of use, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our websites and the users of the site); or
- Such information could aid in an emergency where people's lives or safety may be at stake.
We do not share your personal information with third parties for marketing purposes. We may contract with third parties to help us with services related to event planning, such as collecting data for registration and operationalizing our website, which includes technical and processing services, developing and updating website content and information, analyzing website performance, and updating and maintaining our databases and subscription services. These third parties are obligated to keep the information secure and confidential and must use the information only in connection with providing services to CECA.
Personal information retention
Personal information collected by CECA is securely stored and maintained in Canada. Access to personal information collected by CECA is restricted to those who need to access the information (on a confidential basis), or to legally authorized governmental or law enforcement agencies. Information is retained for only as long as that information is necessary for the purposes for which it was collected.
We carefully protect any personal information that we have by housing all collected information in secure physical premises and through the use of various other safeguards.
We use web analytics services such as Google Analytics to help analyze the use of our website in order to serve you better. This tool uses "cookies"—small text files containing a unique identification number that recognizes your computer's browser (but not you) when you visit a website—to collect and generate information (including your IP address) about your visits to our site. This information is then transmitted to the Google server in an anonymous form for processing. We study patterns of website activity so that we can improve the experience of visitors to our site. The use of these tools does not allow us or our analytics service provider to identify individuals. You can opt-out of analytics activity by setting your browser to notify you when a cookie is sent and to block analytics cookies, if desired. Please consult your browser's help menu for instructions. Visiting our website with analytics cookies disabled will have no significant impact on your browsing experience. Google currently offers a free Google Analytics opt-out tool for Microsoft Internet Explorer (versions 7-10), Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari and Opera: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Linking to websites
From time to time, CECA’s website may also reference or contain links to other websites. We do not endorse any other non-CECA website and accept no responsibility for the quality, content, nature or reliability of the sites accessible from our website or sites that may link to the CECA website. When leaving the CECA website, you should be aware that CECA’s terms and policies, including this Privacy Commitment, no longer govern your online activities; we do not have any control over non-CECA websites. Please ensure to always review the applicable terms and policies, including privacy and data-gathering practices, of the linked site prior to using any other site or providing any personal information to a third party.
How to contact us
If you have questions or concerns about this Privacy Commitment, wish to have access to your personal information or want to correct or update any personal information, please call (613) 235-4048 or send an email to email@example.com.
Last updated: January 2018